Thursday, November 3, 2011

Book of Treasures - Dragon Slayer

I recently uploaded my first YouTube video for this interactive Book of Treasures mini book, which I made for my 5 year old nephew based on a survey I sent him in the mail.  I'm going through the page layouts this week to give you a better idea of how I made the mini.  If you haven't seen the video yet, it can be viewed ---> HERE

For the title of the book I used my Cricut and the Sophisticated cartridge.  However, since this book was for my young nephew,  I wanted to change the "a" (with the hook) to the grade school "a", as shown in the above photo.  I did this by using Gypsy to weld the letters together, changing out the "a" in the Sophisticated cartridge to the italic "a" from the Plantin Schoolbook cart.

As mentioned in my previous post with the 'Bugs' tag, each page layout measures approx. 5 3/8" x 10 3/4".  This first page layout reflects Marty's love of swords.  I started with the printed vellum from the "Prince 'Quotes' Stack" which I adhered with a triangle eyelet and vellum tape.  I love these themed  puffy stickers because they were squishy and dimensional -- and great for kids.  I made a tag pocket with tag, and added the "crunchy" quote with a silver gel pen.

For the castle page I used the Life is a Beach cartridge and cut out the square card sandcastle in black, adding blue cardstock (CS) behind the frame for the castle in the clouds.  I cut the castle layers/flags in Marty's favorite colors (I used my Gypsy to help size the layers). The picture doesn't pick it up too well, but the blue CS has a foggy mist for the clouds and feels like smooth suede.  I achieved this by brayering on Liquid Applique and heat setting. 

In creating the door, I adhered the crossed-sword sticker to the front of the castle door using a paint brush to add baby powder to the exposed part of the sticker to remove the "sticky".  I used my Cuttlebug to emboss a strip of CS with Tim Holtz Burlap folder and painted on Sunflower Gold Perfect Pearls for the shimmer effect, before accordion folding and attaching to the front of the castle and door.  I used Tim Holtz game spinner pieces, which I bent to fit the depth of the castle door, and attached them to the page with brads.  They easily swivel aside to allow the castle door to open -- showing the "streets of gold", a cross, and my nephew's favorite verse, James 2:1-4.  Finished the page off with the "Citizen of the Kingdom" hardened epoxy sticker.

In creating this book for Marty using the things he liked/disliked on his survey, I decided to give each page a spiritual reference as well.  So lots of hidden innuendos and such in this book. I used the Tags, Bags, Boxes & More cartridge to cut my tag (bvltop blackout), and distressed the edges.  Then used a Sharpie to write information about the Amour of God on one side, and added more stickers & rub-ons on the other. 

TIP:  When I cut tags with my Cricut, I use the Auto Fill to cut several at once -- that way, when I need a quick tag I always have one ready to embellish.

That's about it for today.  I'll be back soon with my next page layout...Star Wars!
Thanks for dropping by, Lisa

2 comments:

  1. Very nice mini album and great tip. TFS Cathie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool, love the interactive elements.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your LoveLee Comments!