Thursday, September 9, 2010

LoveLee Cuppa: Hot Cocoa Stations

Clear heat-embossed stamped image:
CTMH "Coffee Stain"
During the Christmas Holidays we like to invite my husband's office over for a cozy Christmas party. We like to keep it about them so they know they are appreciated. In the past I would make them each an array of home baked goodies: coconut brunch bread, banana bread, apple butter, chocolate covered pretzels, candies, and more. Since most of his troops live in the dorms, they really enjoy the home baked treats. Last year I decided to also make them each a Hot Cocoa Station, which they loved. I believe I made about 15! Once again, I failed to take pictures of the final tally lining my counter tops--but in my defense, they didn't stay there for long. =)

LoveLee RECIPE

Ruler (to measure the coffee box, or use my measurements)
Sharpie, or other permanent marker
Paper Trimmer or Scissors
Small Hole Punch or piercing tool
Mod Podge (matte or glossy – I used matte)
Foam brush
Bone Folder or Popsicle stick for smoothing
Non-stick Craft Mat or Wax paper to protect work area
Starbucks Frappuccino 4pack, bottles cleaned & labels removed *
1 ½ in. circle cutter/punch

* Start off with a 4-pack of Frappucino's/Coffee -- Starbucks is the most common, but any brand will do. As you empty the bottles rinse & fill with HOT water. As the hot water sits in the bottle, it heats up the glue on the label--after 10-15 minutes you can peel the labels right off. Use the back of the sticky label to pull off any excess glue, or use Goo Gone to clean up the outside of the bottle. I then run both my caps & bottles thru the dishwasher & let dry thoroughly.

Decorate coffee box

1 – 12x12 decorative scrapbook paper (can use two coordinating colors of 8 ½ x 11 if preferred)
CUT - 4 side pieces: 2 – 5” x 4”, and 2 – 4 15/16" x 4", Leftover rectangle (5 x 3 7/8) use for bottom (optional), Leftover strip (use to cut circles & tags)
Tags – cut 4 rectangles 1 ¾ x 1 each
Circles – cut 4 – 1 ½ in. circles

Coordinating Ribbon – 4 pieces, 13” long each
Hemp Cord, String, or Embroidery Floss – 4 pieces, 5” long each

~ Working one section at a time, apply mod podge to outside of coffee box. Attach deco paper and smooth down evenly for each side, leaving bottom of carton for last.

~ Apply mod podge over paper on the sides, again leaving bottom for last. Let dry handle down for 30-45 minutes. To cure completely, leave overnight.

~ Apply mod podge to top of bottle lids & attach paper circles; cover circles with mod podge.

~ Tie decorative ribbon under rim of glass bottles.

~ Cut Tags: trim both corners on one of the short sides of the rectangle paper to resemble a tag, and punch hole in tailored end.

~ Write on Tags: Marshmallows, Peppermint Sticks, Hot Chocolate, & Sweet Treats.

~ Fill bottles with coordinating items.

~ Add hemp cord to tags, & attach tags to bottles – tie cord around ribbon and trim edges closely. Hide knotted end under ribbon.

~ Embellish as desired.
My Family's Cocoa Station - the first one I ever made & still going strong!
A big Thank You shout out to my friend, Denise -- It was a few years back when she showed me this fabulous project.  I've made so many since then, and I'm still enjoying mine! 

Happy Crafting!
Lisa

2 comments:

  1. Another wonderful gift I received. The kids were excited when they saw it. Thanks Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea! Very creative! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your LoveLee Comments!