Friday, April 6, 2012

Easy Watercolored Spring Rabbits

Spring Easter Rabbits

Hi guys! Popping in today to show a couple cards I made using the new Distress Markers on specialty stamping paper. I'm loving using these markers for watercoloring, and I actually like the stamping paper for this technique as much as watercolor paper, as it really gives such a crisp image. The stamps were picked up a few years ago at a thrift store -- The only name on them is "Imaginations!" (I looked online, but could only find them on eBay).

I'm not extremely neat when I "color", so using the watercolor method with these markers works really nice for me. I simply stamped the images with Archival black ink (any waterproof/non-smear ink should work) and colored over the images with a the markers. Then I used a water brush and "water-colored" over the marker colors (wiping off my brush on my hand between each color). I used a wet brush so there was extra water to move around in the ink, then I dabbed up the extra water with a towel when I was finished with that color. It helped give it the mottled look of watercolor. I corner rounded the image paper, and finished with my markers by going around the edges of the paper (and not neatly, I might add). I then used the water brush again around the edges, dabbed with a towel, & dried, before going over it once again with the water brush for a lighter, third coloring on the edges.  Check out Tim Holtz demonstrating these markers, the stamping paper, and the water brush (at 3:45) , on YouTube ---> HERE



I used Glaze pens for the extra pop of color on the watermelon, carrot, & tulip -- the Glaze pens dry slightly raised with a glossy finish...as opposed to Souffle pens which give a matte finish.   I added the images to cardstock from my scrap collection, and tied on ribbon bows. To finish off the cards, I punched out mini envelopes (by McGill) from vellum and added a "Hoppy Easter" message.



I thought these rabbits were more spring-time than Easter, which is a bit more my speed. Growing up the first of six kids I remember my parents celebrating Easter on Saturday with our egg hunts & candy baskets, and Sunday was set aside as "Resurrection Sunday". We were able to have all day to enjoy our goodies instead of rushing off to church after we'd found them...plus it helped us keep in perspective the true meaning of Easter & Jesus' resurrection. We've followed that same tradition with our own kids, and I love the simplicity of a relaxed Saturday morning -- well, except when we can't remember where we hid the last boiled egg. =)

Today we're remembering Good Friday, but isn't it wonderful to know
...Sunday's a-comin'?!   Blessings, Lisa

5 comments:

  1. These are so sweet! I love the watermelon rabbit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super sweet! Love the watercoloring. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Easter, Lisa! Adorable cards and the watercoloring is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. dearest Lisa,
    I want to thank you for the dearest Easter card!It was such a joy and a wonderful surprise. We had our daughter here for 4 days and it was heavenly. Wont see her till end of June when we get her for summer break. Hope you are doing well and not missin yr son too much at college. Hope you had a pleasant Easter too. take care my friend, gerri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lisa,
    Just stopping by to say Hi.Noting much happening here since our daughter left for NYC. I have a terrible cold or maybe an allergy, all I do is sneeze. Achoo! LOL. Havent really crafted this week, gotta get going. Hope you are well. take vare, gerri

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your LoveLee Comments!