Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Creative Passage Into Art Journaling

"Go where your journal takes you creatively, taking your journal wherever you go --
and you'll find you're taking a creative journey, others will soon want to follow."
~ Lisa Sackett

I thought I'd share something a bit new today...something that I've been working on for a while, behind the scenes -- my Art Journal.  If you're not familiar with Art Journaling, it's basically combining art & words into a personal journal (or just words, or just art...) -- it's a creative outlet of your own artistic impression.  In other words, there are no rules -- you create the kind of art that you enjoy, and write what you like. 

One of the best things I've discovered about keeping an Art Journal (or several) is that it truly helps the break-down of inspiration overload.  You know what I mean?  When you are overstimulated by SO many ideas going through your head and don't know where to begin -- I find that taking just ten to fifteen minutes to add some color to a page, adding collage elements, drawing, writing, etc...just helps to get that creative energy moving in a specific direction.  And it works exactly the same way when I can't think of a thing to do.  And once you get started, you'll be able to go back into your journals for some of your own inspiration!  You'll also find it quite addicting...and dare I say...FUN!



Creative Passage Into Art Journaling
. . . the class!

Many of you already know I'm an instructor at our LSS.  Well, I was thinking that an Art Journaling class would be a great opportunity to bring together students, who are both beginner & advanced artists, for the express purpose of having fun being creative without any rules.  And if you don't think you're artistically inclined, not to worry -- I'll help you find your creative style.

Starting in May at our LSS (15 minutes from the St. Louis Arch), I'll begin teaching Art Journaling 101 -- you'll get your initial supplies, including a journal, and we'll jump right in.  Then each month I'll be teaching new techniques you can try out on your own pages, or you can do your own thing.  There will be a variety of supplies & tools to use while in class, & each month you'll acquire some new supplies too!  Art Journaling is meant to be a fun, stress-free, relaxing way to get creative. Some pages you'll love, others you'll learn from.  But most of all ... we'll just have fun! 

To sign up for classes you can contact The Scrapbook Factory at 618-628-8877.  Several opportunities for class dates in May:  Sunday, May 20th 2-4pm; Tuesday, May 22nd 5:30-7:30pm; Saturday, May 26th 10am-12pm.  Classes fill up quickly as there are only 12 spaces open for each class.  If you have a group of five or more we'll create a class for your group...just let me know.  Also, each month will include an Art Journaling 101 class for those that are just starting up.

Still unsure about this Art Journaling "thing"?  Check out this link for some great inspiration --> HERE, featuring Dyan Reavely.  We'll be using her Dylusions sprays & stencils in some of the classes.  But that's only a sampling, there's so much more... 

On my blog -- I'll be posting my journal pages from time to time, including tidbits here and there, as well -- so that if you're not able to join us in classes, you'll still be able to catch a bit of that inspiration.

So that's just a little something new I've got going on...and I thought I'd put you in the know.  And now you know.  =)

Have a cozy day!  Lisa

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful pages! How great that you're bringing Art Journaling to your LSS. Love that. I love your placement of the bird/branch across the pages and how you carried that purple through... fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your art journal pages, they are gorgeous! Especially the Zentangle like edge on today's pages. The butterfly below is gorgeous also. Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well your students will be in for a great learning experience and a load of fun! Lisa, these are truly some great pages! I love the colors and elements! Have a great Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. dear Lisa, this is incredible..I just adore it!.thank you for sharing and showing us. I have never done an art journal, maybe I should try. take care, gerri

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't tried an art journal yet. Thank you for inspiring me to try. I will pick one up. This looks like a fun and creative thing. Love the background and that awesome butterfly. I love you you wrote the journaling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your blog!!!!! Your work is awesome. Will visit often!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your LoveLee Comments!