Thursday, September 22, 2011

Watercolor Misting - Fabulous Fruit

I'm still digging through some of my wood-mounted rubber stamps and finding some I've never used before.  I thought this set from Stampin' Up (Sun-Ripened II) would make a nice set of notecards -- and since I've been playing around with watercoloring I thought I'd try another type of watercolor technique with them.

Watercolor Misting:
1.  Stamp images with Archival black ink onto cardstock (I like using watercolor paper), and then clean off stamps.

2. Using Distress Inks (because they react with water, and keep their true color), apply a variety of ink colors to stamp - starting from light and finishing with dark color inks. 
NOTE:  I apply my ink pads directly to the stamp and use a wet wipe to wipe off any areas the color has touched that I want to add a separate color.  This works best if you're only using a a couple colors of ink.  If you're using several colors, stamp each color individually (adding steps 3 & 4 for each color).

3. Using a Mini Mister (or one that sprays a fine mist), hold stamp level, inked rubber side up, and spray a mist of water over the inked stamp.  Be careful not to over wet the stamp.

4.  Using a stamp positioner (mine is the Stamp-a-ma-jig), stamp your misted image directly over the image originally stamped with the Archival ink (if you're unsure how much to mist, practice on a separate piece of scrap cardstock, before stamping on your project).  Let air dry, or use a heat gun to dry quicker & keep the ink from spreading too much (especially if you used extra water mists).

NOTE:  Splitcoast stampers has a tutorial that uses the Stamp-a-ma-jig similar to how I did, except they used it to show a shadow effect.  You can view that tutorial on YouTube ---> HERE

To finish my notecards I added coordinating fibers & paper, tearing the bottom & lightly inking edges; and added tags I punched (Paper Shaper tag punch) mounted with foam dots. 


With a paintbrush dipped in water, I moved the red ink over the
apple...I probably would've liked it better leaving it as it was.

Thanks for bearing with me while my computer was down.  I'm happy to say the new one is now up and running beautifully -- so back to creating I go!  Now maybe I can get to some of those other ideas I had to put on the back burner.  =)

Glad you could stop by!  Have a great day ~ Lisa

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Lisa! These are gorgeous! Love the watercolor technique! I bought one of the stampyjigs and have never used it. I will so have to try that! Lately I have been pulling out some of the many SU stamps also! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting blog. Alot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that I'm interested in, but I'm most definately interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know. impianti antizanzare

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your LoveLee Comments!